[PPMT] Parallel Path Magnetic Technology

Цитат:PPMT Technology
Parallel Path Magnetic Technology (PPMT) is an advanced magnetic force control technology that is applicable to motors, rotary actuators, linear actuators, magnetic latches, and generators.  PPMT uses permanent magnets controlled with a field coil in parallel magnetic circuits.  PPMT is a revolutionary concept that has been demonstrated in a wide variety of devices.  Flynn Research Inc. is the patent holder on basic and specific PPMT patents.
Compared to conventional electromagnetic technology PPMT devices are:
  • Smaller
  • Lighter
  • Run cooler
  • More energy efficient
All PPMT devices use two or more permanent magnets placed in parallel with steering coils between the magnets.  We will illustrate PPMT basics in the form of a simple magnetic latching actuator:
The basic magnetic circuit consists of a flux steering coil on each flux path as shown in figure 1.   If there is no current in the coils the magnetic circuit then acts as if the coils do not exist.

Figure 1.  Basic PPMT actuator (flux steering coils off)
However if current flows in the flux steering coils to produce a magnetic polarity, as shown in figure 2, the magnetic flux produced by the coils couples with the permanent magnet’s flux and the result is four units of force at one pole of the device (four units, not two, is due to the squared force law of the combined permanent magnet flux).  Once the flux has switched and the actuation elements have moved to create an air gap on the zero force side, the steering coils can be turned off and the actuator or motor will remain in this new state at four units of permanent force with no power required.  A momentary coil pulse with the opposite polarity, will switch the actuator in the opposite direction.

Figure 2.  Basic PPMT actuator steering coils engaged to switch all magnetic flux to one actuator pole

In the actuation of the PPMT device, the steering coil only needs to have sufficient current to equal the flux of one permanent magnet.  Thus, in PPMT devices a given amount of magnetic flux can be controlled with only half the field coil power required by conventional devices.   Furthermore, the force generated by the PPMT device will continue, with no power required, as long as the geometric arrangement of the elements allow for it.  
This same basic magnification of the mechanical/magnetic/electric coupling relationship exists for generators and motors in a similar manner as it does for the actuator used in this simple example.  Compared to an equivalent conventional motor/generator, or actuator a PPMT device has: Higher power density, Higher power efficiency, Lighter weight, Smaller physical size, Wider torque zone with high efficiency, Wider power zone with high efficiency, and Cooler operating temperatures.  Figure 3.  Shows a simplied cross section of one type of PPMT rotary motor.

Figure 3.  PPMT motor cross section

Прикачени файлове
.pdf   PPMT technology white paper.pdf (Размер: 518.39 KB / Сваляния: 0)
Отговори
The today's setup consists of unknown ferrites, a signal generator for power source (hence low power input). According to the theory behind PPMT one of the output coils should have much lower voltage than the other.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Edit: I've placed IRF540 MOSFET in series with the primary and drove it with 12V. The measured current on the primary was about 1A (max, across 0.1 Ohm ceramic R). Core NOT in saturation (no peak current).
The input current was exactly the same with or w/o the small E cores.
Also the input current increases equally if I short the first or the second output coil (if it works in PPMT mode shorting one of the output coils should increase the load differently than shorting the other output coil I guess).

Прикачени файлове Миниатюри

Отговори
I did a mistake in my previous experiment. The driving coils should be in counter-phase and not in phase.

I changed the wiring and the result is much higher input current (up to 5A). If the small E cores are in place, the output voltage is lower than if the small E cores are missing and this is obvious because they saturate the core in some degree, therefore decreasing the transformation effect.

Again nothing interesting or unexpected. It seems however that the idea of PPMT is similar to the getca's CMF (Commutator of Magnetic Flux) and any further experiments should be directed towards his schematics.

Прикачени файлове Миниатюри

Отговори

Отваряне на:

Потребители разглеждащи темата: 1 гост(и)